Catacombs - Churches

The catacombs of Milos are the only paleochristian monument in Greece and the second most important in Europe, after the catacombs of Rome.

It is an underground network of galleries, spanning a length of 200 metres, which constituted a place of worship and a cemetery for the islandís early Christians.

On the walls and the floor there are over 1,000 sliding graves, where an estimated total of 1,500 - 2,000 dead people have been buried.

The catacombs were created around the 1st century A.D., and were discovered in 1843. Today, only one gallery is open to the public.

Their construction was facilitated by the loose soil of Trypiti and the soft volcanic tuff, into which they were carved.

There are over 350 churches and country churches in Milos, as well as 2 monasteries.

Most of the churches are built according to the simple Aegean style - snow-white and small, with vaulted ceilings.

The Byzantine Panagia tou Kipou (Our Lady of the Garden) is the earliest church on the island. Its interior houses fragments of a marble sarcophagus dating in the Hellenistic period.

Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) in Adamantas, one of the earliest churches in Milos, stands out for its architecture and rare Cretan-Byzantine icons.

Panagia Thalassitra (Our Lady of the Sea) is considered protectress of the islandís sailors.
Catacombs - Churches
Yearning for the prairies of heaven, the pursued faith took refuge to the arms of the earth...